Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Couples Shot


I spent the Easter break in Sydney with my folks and wife and am now sadly back at home. We have pretty much no shots of us as a couple taken since our wedding day so we decided to head into Sydney's Hyde Park while we were over there and see if we could get something that we both liked.
I'm fairly happy with the result that we got and the only real part of the image that I don't like is the leaf over Siobhan's feet. It's hard when you are not behind the camera.




The shot was taken quite early in the morning using two lights. The first light is the sun! First of all, I adjusted the settings on my camera to give me a slightly under-exposed background image, about a stop and a half I think. This gives you a darker background than the subject you are lighting and immediately draws focus to them. I did this by putting my camera into manual mode and pointing it roughly to where the shot was going to be taken. The next step is to adjust your shutter speed and aperture until you are happy. I shot this at 1/250th, f2.8, iso400 and I think the flash was at 1/8th power. I then handed my camera over to my Dad to take the shots.

I could have dropped the ISO down two stops to a setting of 100 to get a cleaner image and then adjusted my shutter speed and flash to compensate. This would have given me settings of 1/60th of a second to get the background back to the same exposure but dropping the ISO would also have dropped the power of my flash by two stops so I would have had to adjust it up to 1/2 power to get the exact same image. ISO 400 still gives a very clean image though

It's hard when you're not taking the shots yourself. You are not able to just check the back of the camera after each shot and adjust accordingly but the whole set of images from set-up to pack-up probably took about 15 minutes.

In the end, we ended up with a great shot of us both in a beautiful location to go with the rest of the photos we took over our Easter break.

Thanks for reading!

Benen

No comments:

Post a Comment